Friday, July 31, 2015

My First Freelance

So far my summer has been filled with online Chemistry, AP U.S. History and AP Language Arts assignments, a trip to Myrtle Beach and college visits. 

 Most importantly, it has been filled with a group of tremendous people who are willing to help me live out my dream as a freelance writer.

During my sophomore year, I worked as a staffer for my high school newspaper.  Part of the newspaper experience at my school includes a Partners in Education program.  The goal of the program is to let students get hands on experience and guidance from professionals within the field, in this case journalism.  

Our Partners in Education mentors were Anna Powers and Sarah Ristorcelli.  Together, the two make up Powers and Ristorcelli Content Agency.  

After numerous workshops and exercises, the two ladies sponsored a writing competition especially for our newspaper staff.  The competition was judged by Shea Glenny, Megan Padilla and Hancel Deaton.  

On the last day of sophomore year I received the incredible news that I had won the contest. Not only did I receive a wonderful cake, an awesome Starbucks gift card and a check, but also the opportunity to write a freelance piece.

LINK TO MY CONTEST PIECE







Shea Glenny, contest judge and Director of weVENTURE, was kind enough to seek me out for this opportunity.  She and her awesome assistant Diana Lawrie helped me get my first published freelance work.

The two are helping me connect with some amazing people.  Through these connections I have been mentored by Marco Santana from Orlando Sentinel, wrote a guest blog post for Orlando Tech Association and a peice for the Canvs newsletter.


LINK TO MY ORLANDO TECH PIECE


LINK TO MY CANVS PIECE


Glenny also awarded me a scholarship to Pam Hoelzle's How to Start Something Workshop.  The event not only provided me with further networking opportunities, but also a clearer vision of what I hope to pursue.

I am so grateful to everyone who has helped me fulfill this much, I feel so blessed. 

For any girl in the Orlando area who hopes to get a jumpstart in her career,  I highly suggest you contact the people at weVENTURE.  You will be amazed by the things you can accomplish.





       

No comments:

Post a Comment